WHY A CENTRALISED RETIREMENT PROPOSITION IS A MUST FOR SWITCHED-ON ADVISERS
Expert: James Bampton, Architas
The Key Findings from this session were:
- Unsurprisingly there are multiple approaches by advisers in constructing retirement portfolios to suit the client need – there is no one size fits all.
- These approaches include both building own models or outsourcing income portfolios; and typically either aim to generate capital growth in line with inflation and either ‘top slice’ the required income, or again grow the base in line with inflation and then deliver a natural income.
- With a challenging yield environment for most asset classes this is not easy.
- New clients typically have higher than realistic expectations of the yield their portfolio can currently generate. This is a key part of the advice process, working with the client to assess and balance the client’s level of risk that they are willing and able to take with the level of income needed or desired.
- Cash flow planning tools are increasing being used by advisers to help provide a context when articulating the challenges and the options available to clients - save more (or less), retire later (or earlier), take more (or less) risk, leave less (or more) assets as inheritance.