John has nearly 30 years of financial services experience across a range of businesses and products. Over the last 12 years he was responsible for setting up and running the John Lewis financial services business. This brought a special focus on the customer proposition and customer experience, enabling the rapid growth of a direct financial services business, within a retailer renowned for its impeccable customer values. The financial service business is highly regarded within John Lewis.
His experience centres around launching and growing businesses and products, on a direct and digital basis, working with multiple providers and creating award winning propositions. He has worked within a number of financial providers on a B2C and B2B basis, as well as with providers on a distribution basis.
He now provides consultancy and interim management solutions for businesses that have growth challenges or are looking to launch new products or move into new markets.
Specialist areas and key skills:
- Launching and growing direct to consumer businesses and award winning propositions
- Running a financial services business, with strong customer values, and delivering profitable growth
- Developing and delivering the link between target customer and focused customer propositions, using data and strategic analysis
- Delivering change at real pace
- Working with a range of operating and commercial models
- Establishing and developing great commercial contracts and relationships
- Entering new markets
Companies/brands you have worked with:
- Sunlife of Canada
- GE Capital (working with clients such as Dixons, HoF, Debenhams, Burtons, Principles, New Look, Etam)
- Lloyds TSB (as was)
- John Lewis (working with AXA, RSA, Ageas, Friends Life/Aviva, Covea, First Rate Exchange Services, Hitachi Finance, HSBC)
What inspired you to move into consultancy?
I have been very fortunate and always enjoyed variety in my work. I would like to use the valuable experience I have to explore more business challenges, with a range of different businesses, and create variety in a different way. Interim consultancy is something I have done several times in the past and really enjoyed. There is so much change happening in FS and within the direct sector it is almost certainly the most exciting time in my career to be involved in helping businesses make the changes they need.
What would you consider to be your greatest professional achievement?
Setting up a business from scratch and turning it into the most profitable part of the group. Especially, as it was far from straightforward!