Expert: Dave Robson - Carmignac
Moderator: John Chapman - John Chapman Consulting
Lots of people are buying, for many different reasons and there are lots of challenges involved.
- Towry/Tilney Best Invest were both private equity driven - they were in for a long period of time whilst more recent private equity deals are looking for a shorter a return.
- Robo Advisers are finding it difficult to engage with clients and are looking to buy distribution. The Almary Green deal fell over as going from independent to restricted meant Advisers left and 1825 pulled out. The most important thing is to get the culture of the businesses aligned.
- Brown Shipley have bought two quality businesses, Fairstone and Succession, raising capital to expand further.
- Old Mutual (for assets), Close Brothers, SJP by stealth - very quiet about it. Succession bought Clay Rogers. Bellpenny has changed - they were previously buy and build but now are acquiring much larger businesses so they can be sold on.
- Total Revenue
- Recurring Revenue
- Quality of assets / platform
- Quality of process / including post transaction structure
- Quality of governance and controls
- Better value if there is a CIP and even better with DFM process